Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist for Summer
June 15, 2018
Take it easy this summer by starting your home summer maintenance now. Do a little bit every day and spend the money and time savings on things you actually want to do. This ultimate summer checklist will help a lot!
Ultimate Summer Home Maintenance Checklist
Outside the Home:
- Inspect the gutters and downspouts. Clean them if needed.
- Inspect vents, louvers, and chimneys for debris and bird nests.
- Inspect your roof (with binoculars) for damage, debris, and signs of future repair or replacement.
- Clean window wells and storms drains as needed.
- Make sure your downspouts are properly draining water away from the home. Consider installing downspout extenders to help divert the water where it needs to go.
- Check the grading around the home to make sure water is draining away from the foundation.
- Test outdoor GFCI outlets every 30 days. Contact a certified electrician to add, repair or replace outdoor outlets.
- Test safety reverse devices on garage overhead door opener. Fix if necessary.
- Check sheds and garages for any damage.
- Make sure the area around your outdoor heat pump/condenser unit is clean and clear of grass clippings, shrubbery, and other debris.
- Mow the grass (1.5-2 inches), rake leaves, weed, and generally keep the landscaping well maintained.
- Keep mulch and plants at least 12 inches from the foundation to help prevent pests.
- Trim back plants from the foundation and walls of your home. You don’t want to form a direct bridge for pests.
Inside the Home:
- Test GFCI and AFCI outlets and/or breakers every 30 days. Contact a certified electrician to add, repair or replace indoor outlets.
- Inspect all of your lamps and electronics for any damage to wires and plugs. Replace or repair electrical devices at the first sign of wear or damage.
- If you have young ones at home, make sure all your outlets are outfitted with tamper resistant receptacles (TRRs).
- Clean around your Indoor air handler and water heater. Make sure there is a minimum 2-foot clearance around both of these items.
- Vacuum and wipe up dust around registers, vents, ducts, and exhaust fans.
- Test CO and smoke detectors every 30 days. Replace every 10 years or according to the manufacturer instructions.
- Check weatherstripping around windows and doors.
- Check caulking around bathtubs, showers, and sinks.
- Make sure ceiling fans are rotting in the right direction. If you reversed the direction of the blades for winter, remember to switch them back for summer.
If you haven’t scheduled professional air conditioning maintenance yet, don’t wait any longer!
Contact OnTime Service for fast and professional electrical, plumbing, and HVAC service.