You’ve likely seen and heard it all – wood is a natural insulator, if a live wire doesn’t spark, it’s fine to touch, and low voltage isn’t something to worry about. Unfortunately, none of this is true. We’re here to set the record straight. Here are 7 common electrical safety myths you shouldn’t fall for.

1. Myth: Household Currents Are Strong Enough To Kill

Fact: While we’d all like to think the electricity in our homes wouldn’t harm us in any way, this is unfortunately not true. Your household electricity is especially dangerous when it comes into contact with wire. That’s why many electrical companies, like OnTime Service, recommend GFCI outlets to intercept this.

2. Myth: Only Old Wiring Can Go Bad

Fact: A new wiring system can also go bad quickly after installation is not installed properly. Electrical wires, like many things in the home, need to be maintained often to avoid early failing. Not only that, but rodents chewing through wires and circuit overload can also cause new wiring to go bad much quicker.

3. Myth: Rubber Gloves and Shoes Insulate

Fact: Only 100% pure rubber insulates. Usually, your gloves and shoes are mixed with cheaper materials and are most likely not 100% rubber – which can be conductors of electricity.

4. Myth: A Live Wire Will Always Spark When It Falls

Fact: Don’t be fooled – even if a fallen wire doesn’t spark, it could still mean it’s live and you should absolutely not touch it. A live wire that doesn’t spark could just mean the wires are de-energizing and are still dangerous to touch. Whether it sparks or not when it falls, it could still be carrying its electrical charge and could be fatal.

5. Myth: The More PPE You Wear, The Better

Fact: Many people think that if you wear enough protective gear, you’re totally safe. However, it’s more important that you have the right kind of gear than several layers of gear that isn’t going to protect you against electric shock. Never touch electricity unless you have the proper PPE, and unless you are trained and knowledgeable with handling electricity.

6. Myth: Low Voltage Means Low Harm

Fact: According to OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), a severe shock often creates more damage than what is initially visible. The current is actually what ultimately determines how dangerous an electrical threat is. That being said, a low voltage with a strong current can still cause a lot of harm. When it comes to your electrical system, you should never attempt to DIY and you should always leave it to the professionals.

7. Myth: Wood Is A Natural Insulator

Fact: Have you heard that wood is a natural insulator? Unfortunately, this is false. A lot of wood ladders still contain metal, so don’t forget that! Wood is actually a very weak conductor, so make sure to think twice before using wood structures when you’re working with live wires.

OnTime Service Is Here To Help With All Your Electrical Needs in Birmingham, AL and Surrounding Areas!

The pros at OnTime Service are here for all your electrical needs in Birmingham, AL and surrounding areas. Schedule your appointment with us now. Your comfort and safety is our top priority. Contact us today at 205-942-1405 or online by filling out our form here.

Skip to content