Plumbing problems seem to sneak up on people. One day, it’s a clogged toilet. The next day, sewer gas is wafting through the home. You may even come home to a burst pipe or water heater.
Luckily, there is a way to prevent common plumbing problems! It’s called plumbing maintenance.
Here is a valuable plumbing maintenance checklist every homeowner should go over at least once a year:
- Check for plumbing leaks (most water meters have a leak detection dial). It’s time to call a professional when you notice leaks in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, or anywhere else in your home.
- Check pipes and faucets for signs of damage or corrosion. Specifically, be on the lookout for rust, and blue-green stains, leaks, and strange tap water taste. If you suspect pipe corrosion, contact a professional.
- Look for signs of water damage, such as mold, stains, warping, and peeling. Contact a professional plumber if you suspect a plumbing leak.
- Unclog slow drains. While you can try to remove the clog with a plunger, auger, or wire hanger, if you are having trouble, it’s best to call a plumber. There’s probably a clog further down the line. We recommend a professional drain cleaning at least once a year. Contact OnTime Service for a regular cleaning with hydro-jetting units (and other tools) to provide an effective and long-lasting solution.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for regular garbage disposal maintenance. Learn garbage disposal do’s and don’ts.
- Check faucet aerators and showerheads for clogs and mineral stains. Learn how to clean mineral stains from plumbing fixtures.
- Know where your main and individual water shut-offs are located and how to turn them off.
- Look for cracking or dried out caulking around the tub and shower. Remove the old caulk completely and replace with fresh silicone caulk. You may want to contact a professional for help.
- Run all of your toilets and sinks at least once a month. This helps keep your P-traps full, providing you with an odor trap to prevent sewer gases from flowing through your drains. It’s also a good test to ensure everything is working as it should.
- Flush your water heater and consider replacing the anode rod (every 3-5 years). Learn some water heater energy saving tips. Contact OnTime Service for your yearly plumbing inspection to ensure the health longevity of your plumbing system. You don’t want a burst water heater!
- Sign up for a home maintenance plan that include annual professional plumbing inspection.
Learn more plumbing maintenance and water-saving tips.
Contact a Professional
The number one most important thing you can do to maintain your plumbing system is to call a professional such as OnTime Service.
With regular plumbing maintenance, you can prevent clogs, leaks, and other plumbing problems from happening in the first place.
SERVICE ON TIME OR WE PAY YOU $59!
Extend the life of your plumbing, electrical, and HVAC systems. Sign up for our Super Service Club for annual professional maintenance and VIP treatment.
Call OnTime Service at 205-942-1405 or contact us online to schedule your next appointment.
Follow us on social media for more useful information for your home: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest.